Highest vantage point and nature reserve
After the Franco-Prussian War in 1870/71, four forts were planned to protect Spandau and its munitions industry – but Fort Hahneberg was the only one that was built.
The last fortress to be built in Germany was completed in 1888 after six years of construction. Until the end of the Second World War, Fort Hahneberg was used mainly for military purposes, for example as a barracks and central archive for military medicine. After the war, the Allies blew up the internal defences, rendering the fort militarily unusable. Bricks from the buildings were used for the reconstruction of Berlin.
Until the fall of the Berlin Wall, Fort Hahneberg was left abandoned and dilapidated for decades near the barricades of the Heerstraße border crossing. Fauna and flora were able to flourish, and today the fort is an important hibernation site for bats. Fort Hahneberg was only reopened to the public in 1990, and sightseeing tours are now available. There’s something for all the family: historical, wildlife or bat-themed tours, as well as children’s treasure hunts.
A nature and history trail through Fort Hahneberg is currently being created to educate and entertain visitors as they walk through the grounds.
Hahnebergweg 50, 13591 Berlin